1/15/2022

Leadership: Apologising Is A Weakness Or Strength?

It has been commonly believed, upheld and maintained consistently in Singapore by certain quarters of leadership that to apologise for a mistake is a display of weakness.

Is it true that to admit a mistake is to reflect a weakness on the part of the one who said sorry?

The UK's PM, Boris Johnson, has just apologised to his MPs for a mistake/blunder he should not have made. Here is his full Statement made in Parliament:

"Mr Speaker, I want to apologise. I know that millions of people across this country have made extraordinary sacrifices over the last 18 months.

I know the anguish that they have been through - unable to mourn their relatives, unable to live their lives as they want, or do the things they love.

And I know the rage they feel with me and with the government I lead, when they think that in Downing Street itself the rules are not being properly followed by the people who make the rules.

And though I cannot anticipate the conclusions of the current inquiry, I have learned enough to know there were things we simply did not get right and I must take responsibility.

No 10 is a big department with the garden as an extension of the office - which has been in constant use because of the role of fresh air in stopping the virus.

And when I went into that garden just after six on the 20th of May 2020, to thank groups of staff before going back into my office 25 minutes later to continue working, I believed implicitly that this was a work event.

But, Mr Speaker, with hindsight I should have sent everyone back inside, I should have found some other way to thank them, and I should have recognised that even if it could be said technically to fall within the guidance, there would be millions and millions of people who simply would not see it that way.

People who suffered terribly, people who were forbidden from meeting loved ones at all, inside or outside.

And to them and to this House [of Commons], I offer my heartfelt apologies.

And all I ask is that Sue Gray be allowed to complete her inquiry into that day and several others, so that the full facts can be established. And I will of course come back to this House and make a statement."

In reality, a good leader bound by his conviction to a high standard of morality, ethics, justice and fairness, and his ability to discern right from wrong, is bound to apologise to his people for mistakes, oversights and blunders made by himself, his colleagues or his subordinates. It shows his courage and strength in character. It displays his willingness to take full responsibility.

On the other end, cowards will never apologise or say sorry because they are afraid of making mistakes. They are afraid of being blamed. They are afraid to see themselves in the mirror. Why?

Because they believe that to apologise or say sorry is to admit a mistake, an oversight or a blunder done, and therefore it is a weakness. Perhaps, in their dreams at night, in the dark hours, they are seeing the images of ugly ghosts in themselves?

In truth, to be able to admit a mistake, oversight or blunder and say sorry, is a mark of a great man with great strength and great courage, not a weakness as has been maintained by some cowardly leaders both in the UK and in Singapore.

For a long time, I have been wanting to write about this inability or unwillingness of certain Singapore leaders to apologise to the people for the mistakes and blunders that they have made over the last 55 years or so.

I held it back because it does not reflect well of their legacy (a legacy of cowardice and irresponsibly in leadership), and it is better that it remains that way.

Why correct them when you know that the leopards will not be able to change their spots?

Why now? Think.


A-non-y-mouse.

6 comments:

Ⓜatilah $ingapura⚠️ said...

A politician in trouble will say just about anything to look good, regain their "status", and try to appear like a "normal" human being.

The very fact that they are in politics to begin with indicates varying degrees of psychopathy (it's a spectrum).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/the-startling-accuracy-of-referring-to-politicians-as-psychopaths/260517/

Anonymous said...

Matilar welcome back. Look like rb has Unban u and u longer use vulgar photo nor language. Are u a changed man? Do u still abuse your mother, wide, sisters and daughters?

Anonymous said...

He is an expert psychopath who knows all the psychopathic politicians in USA, Australia and Singapore.

Tehsi said...

M Ravi has discovered a secret and interesting building along coleman street !

https://chem-post.blogspot.com/2022/01/Singapore-Freemasons-According-To-Ravi.html?m=1

Ⓜatilah $ingapura⚠️ said...

What's so secret?

I remember in the 1960s in primary school, my Freemason uncles would take me there. That's where I learnt to play billiards at age 11. They had the most awesome fish and chips and cheese burgers too!

After NS those uncles invited me to join. I never did because I thought the idea of a global secret society for mainly old men was more ridiculous than cartoons.

Anyway, I wouldn't be accepted, being atheist. They absolutely refuse membership to atheists 😝

Over the years I count at least 5 offers to join. It's a stupid society. Yeah yeah I know many "connected" men are members. They do ridiculous things at meetings. These grown men, mostly wealthy and influential dress up in silly costumes and perform insane "rituals" during those meetings, all the while professing the tenets of their religious faith.

Mass stupidity. 🤬

Anonymous said...

M. Ravi is not White I am sure, so he cannot discover anything. Only Whites have that privilege.

You see, Zheng He from China already went on voyages up to Malacca, India and even Africa, well before Columbus, but he was not allowed to claim he discovered any country because he is not White.