With the three Tans, all ex PAP candidates, in the fray for the most highly paid president job in the whole wide world, for that matter, no president comes even near or half of what these president hopefuls will be getting, I just want to ask them individually, a few simple questions.
1. What would he think are the reasons/justifications for the EP to be paid $4m, plus whatever performance bonuses and growth bonuses if applicable?
2. Can any one of them confirm that the $4m is all the EP is getting and nothing more, excluding all the costs for the maintenance of the office?
3. Do the candidates believe that the remuneration for the EP is reasonable, or too much or too little?
4. If given a choice, how much does he think would be a reasonable sum for the EP?
5. If elected, will he take the full salary as what is deserving of the office, or would he think that it is too much and he would like to donate some to charity, and how much would he donate?
Answering the above questions will definitely help the voters to decide who they will elect. These are now the real issues that the voters are asking. Not how independent they are from the PAP. Never mind if they are sponsored by the PAP or not. Never mind the custodial duty or ceremonial duties. We all know what those duties are.
The people know that all the candidates are independent from the PAP. The people also know that they are not sponsored by the PAP. The people also know what each thinks his role is as the EP.
Just tell us how much you need to be the EP will do.