For advertisement

Sample

2/15/2006

academics hired on merits and not nationality

for the past 5 years, 23% of newly recruited academics to our tertiary institutions were singaporeans. or put it the other way, 77% are foreign talents. at the rate it is going, we will need to rename the tertiary institutions as singapore world universities. singapore for the location of the universities. and world to tell people all the academics were recruited from around the world. now, a world class university is coming up right on our soil. now i know why the fees must keep going up. world class academics are really good and really expensive. now the question is whether our student quality is up to par to be taught and converted into world class graduates. then, whether the world will recognise our students as world class, on top of the world, after graduating from our world class universities. if our students are not of world class material, never mind. instant solution. offer their places to top students from china and india and neigbouring countries. by taking these measures, sure we will get world class academics and world class students to be turned into world class graduates. singaporeans who are not up to world class mark can go to polytechnics, or get a father's scholarship and go overseas to attend not so world class universities. we are the best. we are number one. we can buy quality, just like we bought honesty.

2 comments:

Matilah_Singapura said...

What you are witnessing is a society in its death throes.

Spectacular!

redbean said...

i agree. we are so money crazy that money is the solution of all things. and on the pretext of all these, everyone is grabbing as much as they can. just like hongkong pre 1997.

are people expecting singapore to face something as drastic as hongkong that they better line up their pockets quickly to prepare for that day? the death throes has started.