12/07/2005

where greed will take man to

During the hours of creation..... He said to the cow: "Ah Gu (cow), today I have created you! Your job is to go to the field with the farmer all day long. You will provide the energy to pull things! You will also provide milk for people to drink! You are to work all day under the sun! In return, you will only eat grass. For that, you will have a life span of 50 years." Ah Gu objected. "What.. I work all day in the sun and I get only to eat grass! On top of that, I have to give my milk away! This is tough and you want me to live 50 years! I'll take 20 and you can have the remaining 30 years back!" God agreed. On the next day, God created the dog. He said to the dog. "Ah Kow (dog), I have created you for a purpose. You are to sit all day by the door of your master's house! Should anyone come in, you are to bark at them! In return, you will eat your master's leftovers. I'll give you a life span of 20 years." Ah Kow objected. " What! I have to sit by the door all day and will need to bark at people, and what do I get...LEFTOVERS... This isn't right, I'll take 10 and you can have the remaining 10 years back!" God agreed again. On the third day, God created the monkey. He said to the monkey. "Lao Kao (monkey), your job is to entertain people. You will make them laugh, act stupid and make faces! You will also do somersaults and swing on trees to amaze them. In return, you will get to eat bananas and peanuts. For that, I'll give you 20 years to live." Naturally the monkey objected. "This is ridiculous, I gotta make faces and make people laugh? Let's not even come to the part about the trees and somersaults. Tell you what, I'll give 10 years of my life to thank you for my existence and I'll take 10. What do you think?" God agreed again. On the forth day, God created humans. God said to the man. "You are my best piece of work, for that, you will only need to sleep, eat, sleep, play, eat, sleep again and do nothing else.You will get to eat all the best things and play with the best toys. All you need to do is enjoy all your life. For this kinda of life, I'll give you 20 years." Just like the rest, the man objected. "What, all I need to do is relax and enjoy myself and I have only 20 years to live? Tell you what, you've 30 years back from Ah Gu, 10 years from Ah Kow and another 10 from Lao Kao and you probably don't know what to do with all those lifes. Why not I take them all and I'll have 70 years to live?" God being such good natured, agreed with a smile..... AND THAT IS WHY..... We eat, sleep, play and enjoy for the first 20 years of our lives when we are growing up. Work like a cow for the next 30 to raise our family. Sit outside the door and bark at people for the next 10 when we are retired. And finally, we make faces and perform monkey tricks to entertain our grandchildren for the final 10 years. GET IT ?????

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Redbean, you are behind time already. We play for the first 20 years, then work and slog out guts out for 45 years. The govt are trying to get you to retire only at 65. I know some who are in their 70s and they are still working, like the Ah Pek in the wet market I go to. And when you finally get to retire, and if you are extremely lucky you have enough money to live on and be able to sit outside the house and bark at people or if you are doubly extremely lucky you get grand children to play with.

Btw, I am thinking of starting a blog at this site, any problems with this site so far? What about confidentiality? I feel I should not be anonymous any longer.

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean said...

hi anonymous,

you are absolutely right. i thought i could monkey around with grandchildren for a few years but looks like i need to monkey many more years.

you are always welcome to post here. so far quite good. nor real problem. as for confidentiality, i think that should not be an issue. those people who wants to know you will know who you are no matter what you called yourself.

i was a senior civil servant before and i am sure everyone who wants to know have already known. the important thing is that we shall not get carried away, be sensible, and speak truthfully. and yes, if we are speaking as an individual, no connnections with political party, then we are a voice in the wilderness. no threat to anyone.

you can email me and i can include you here as a regular contributor.

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean said...

oh ya, you need to send me your email to enter into the member list.

Anonymous said...

On the main page of this site there is a button that says "get your own blog". When I proceed to the next page after clicking on this button, it always rejects whatever name I enter. Can you shed any light on this?

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean said...

ok, once you click it, the next page should have a button 'create your own blog.' click on this and move from there.

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean said...

oops, the button should read 'create a blog.'